“If your business is not on the internet, then your business will be out of business.”
– Bill Gates.
Bill Gates emphasised the importance of having a strong online presence. The logic is simple; you need a website in today’s fast-moving world of business startups. There are distinct ways of doing business. Some people do it for the first time (entrepreneurs) or a new role in a bigger organisation; irrespective of the position, they focus on points that could lead to more productivity and efficiency in the business environment.
The Internet has become more than just something which provides information but is all about trade. First, web development came into the picture, later, to be followed by mobile app development. Considering these facts, we can take this as a starting point for something new.
You’re just a few clicks away from getting involved in online transactions. Established businesses know everything through experience and look for new ways to make the process smoother and faster; however, entrepreneurs are also not behind. But, we hardly know what captures the user’s mind. Is it features? Functionality? Response time? Etc. They are the crux of any website/app and come later in the picture. So, what comes in the initial stage is the design. If it’s appealing enough, then visitors will connect with you.
Is Design Important?
User experience is the only aspect crucial to both users and developers. The moment you suffer in the concerned area, your business suffers. In the niche market, where performance and quality always come at the top before everything, creating a smooth user experience is key to success.
The fact is that users have many options to choose from while you’ve got only one shot. Either you can make it or break it. But let’s just focus on how you can capture that one moment and accomplish the business objectives. Your success is defined by what users think and feels about your site.
Try this simple test – Search Google for any product and click on the first couple of links. Compare their outlooks and appearance and check if you get the relevant information/product. Was it easy to navigate through the site? Was the design appealing?
Why did you disregard other options?
The answer is simple, the first thing that captured your attention was its design. After all, design is the very first thing users see before other functionality. Therefore, having a good design is one of the most valuable factors for businesses to enhance the site’s appearance and build credibility. Users look to connect with companies digitally now more than ever, so establishing an online presence is an excellent way for brands to do so.
Importance of Design
The design provides companies with several key benefits, and here are some of them:
- Navigation: The design is important because it defines how quickly and often users can find what they want. If it’s frustrating and complex, the vi will leave wit any second thought. A good design leads to better navigation, unlocking new opportunities and helping you with the conversion rate taking you one step closer to accomplishing your goals.
- Icon/Logo: The logo of your company or icon of your mobile app that you utilise frequently and often in print materials or on the website is important to leave a positive impression on users so that users can recognise your brand. For instance, the moment you hear the word “Facebook”, what comes to your mind is its logo. Visual communications help users to communicate and associate with your brand.
- An Edge Over Others: Another reason is fierce competition. There is a myriad of websites and mobile applications in the market. You’ll only get noticed when the design can draw more attention. Unless you’re on Facebook or Twitter, having the next big idea at your disposal is a prerequisite. Developers now focus on improving or redesigning existing designs to create the first impression.
- First Impression Is The Last Impression: Your mobile/website should stand out. Though through core functionality, you can provide users with reliable services. What an app or website looks like is the first aspect users notice. Before downloading or browsing it, they’d certainly test it to see its functionality, but the design is what attracts them in the very first place. That initial visual impression affects the entire user experience and is likely to determine the ultimate success of your business.
- Visual Spark: Design gives a graphic touch to your site, making it more appealing, something that catches the eyes instantly. The internet is a visual medium, and it’s important to use this medium to get your message spread out. You can add animations, graphics, GIFs etc.
- Organising: Get this fact that you have only seconds to make an impression, and if you fail, then visitors will leave. Everything needs to be perfectly placed, with titles to headings to the ending of the part. Maintain consistency throughout the site so visitors easily find what they seek. What is the main content on a page, what is secondary, and what follows next sequentially? Everything on the site/app needs to have a purpose.
The design will make visitors decide whether they want to stay or leave. Putting the best foot forward is crucial, and everything else will fall in the right place. Through websites/apps, you present yourself much better and reach a broader audience, creating a lasting connection. In the end, it’s users that get to choose.
There’s more to websites/apps than the design, like features and coding standards, but those things will only make sense when visitors get attracted to the site/app in the very first place.
Take a few minutes to review your site and consider if the design is doing what it is intended for.
In conclusion, having a strong online presence is crucial for businesses in today’s fast-paced world. The design of a website or mobile app plays a significant role in attracting and retaining users. It provides several key benefits, such as easy navigation, brand recognition, and a competitive edge. As Bill Gates emphasised, not being on the Internet can result in being out of business. Therefore, companies must create a smooth user experience through good design.
CWS Technology is a leading software development company based in India that offers a wide range of services, including web development, mobile app development, and IT consulting services worldwide. They provide top-quality software design and development services for mobile applications, websites, responsive websites, creative web designs, e-commerce solutions, and more worldwide. They have a team of experts who know the latest technologies and always bring something new. They offer their expertise to assist you in solving different problems that demand other skills. Contact us if you have any web or mobile app development queries.